.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JR's Little Corner

I imagine this will be my little place where I can say whatever I feel. I've journaled off and on, so why not? Here expect to find what's been going on, what's been annoying me, etc etc.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Lazy Labor Day

At work on Sunday I met the saddest creature. It was a border collie with a shaved patch on her side. Her owner said she'd been tested for allergies. Get this, this poor collie is allergic to sheep! Imagine the complex this dog must have!
Work was a good experience Sunday, and not just because I had Monday off ;o) We were pretty busy all day, but Nick showed up and helped with a nasty rush, and besides that was all worked as a team and got everything done quickly with few mistakes. I also found a wonderful way to get the kids to work. We all knew Joyce and Mike were coming abck in because they were going to defrost the ic display over Labor Day. So when things finally calmed down, I casually made a list of a few deep-cleaning jobs we could get done. I then made the suggestion that the bosses would be mucho impressed if they came in and saw the list with everything marked off. I have never seen those kids so excited to clean! We got a lot done and the place looked pretty nice when we finally closed. Yay us! (and me ;o) )
Did I say Labor Day? Yes, that's right! About 100 years ago someone decided labor should be organized into groups based on what workers did, and now we get a day off! Don't you love America? My goal for the day was to do nothing but monopoize the video games. Sadly, I did accomplaish things. I folded a load of laundry, almost washed some dishes, spent time with the children, and drove to town for pizza. Oh, the agony of it all! I also exercised and watched a movie so bonus points there! What movie? Why, The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer, of course! It was actually kinda creepy and pretty good, I liked it :o)
I was thinking today (shut up!) about what Mike had told me about earning the crew's respect before I could make a good manager. I think I'm doing that. They already come to me for personal advice, and as I become more confident at work they're asking me for help there too. Also, by stressing the fact that I'm just crew like them, they actually seem to defer to me more! Nick loudly suggests he's in charge so while they listen to him, they don't seem to go for him to stuff. I do hope Mike has a talk with him though, becasue if I'm not in charge he sure as heck isn't! Anyway, back to my train of thought.... By not trying to be in charge, the kids see my experience and seem to check with me on things. I in turn ask their opinions when they come to me, and if there's disagreement I suggest we call M&J. Almost every time the problem/question resolves itself. If I could just get my schedule resolved, I think I'm on a good path to night manager now.
At the moment, I'm supposed to be at work. Why am I not at work? Because I have no babysitter. Rachel was a dork and expensive and unreliable to boot, so I don't want to take EVen back to her. But not a single other sitter has a spot open, no friends were available, all family is working. So I was forced to call Kerstin and be flaky, telling her I couldn't come in. I did put up a sign at City Market and placed an ad in the paper, but that doesn't come out until Thursday. Dana said she could watch him in a pinch Friday if I needed someone. I even broke down and called Rachel, but she'd filled back up. I'll try her again tomorrow morning for tomorrow, and keep your fingers crossed! I would HATE to call off again. Not only do I need the money, but I like this job and don't want to lose it!
At this point I would like to blaim my screw up directly on Even. This is only because he can't defend himself, it's really not his fault ;o) Since work fell through today, we were able to go run some errands this afternoon. Like a good girl I called in my two scrips and Russ' 1 so we wouldn't run out of our happy pills. We went to the Times to pay for my add, ran by the bank to deposit some checks, and posted a sign at City Market (as mentioned earlier). Well I decided to pick up some lunch while there, so I loaded Even into a basket and picked up a couple things. Well guess what I forgot? Oh shut up! But you're right, I was loading Even back into the van when I realized I hadn't gotten our meds! So maybe I'll get them tonight, maybe tomorrow. There's a 4th grad emtg at 5:30, so I might have a chance. If nothing else, I have enough for tonight ;o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home