.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JR's Little Corner

I imagine this will be my little place where I can say whatever I feel. I've journaled off and on, so why not? Here expect to find what's been going on, what's been annoying me, etc etc.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Is it Friday yet?


Today has been the looooooooongest day full of so much BS and crap I just want to go hide in my bubble bath for a couple hours. Of course I know Even won't go to bed so I can't even do that! Maybe I can get to bed earlyish...
To start off my day I got up late. Just enough time to get the kids up and get out of the house. That was kinda by choice, I knew what time it was as my alarm went off but I was soooooo tired and I was stuck in a dream... The biggest backlash of this decision was I didn't get breakfast. Someone ate all the Poptarts and GoTarts, and Chris begged me to leave him the last tortilla. I munched some cheese Nips on the way to work and ate at break time.
I started work with my manhour report, having miraculously remembered to do it as soon as I arrived. We were supposed to have 2 new laborers and a new carpenter starting today, so I confirmed those numbers with Rob. He said the carpenter wasn't going to be there. Well I overhear later that the guy was illegal, fake social security card and Rob called INS (the guy took off). For $150 (accroding to Deb) this guy had gotten an SS card with no number on the front and spelling/grammar errors on the back. Deb was the one who actually spotted it.
About 8:30 (I think) there was a call over the radio for Jason, someone was bringing a guy with chest pains to his office. Well I was immediately concerned about Ted, but the guys said it was someone from ECA. In the end he passed away from a heart attack, I think at the hospital but maybe on the way? Had this happened at the end of the day it really would've topped it all off. As it was, it's kind of loomed over us all. When I saw Jason in the afternoon he still seemed really upset, he'd been there for the whole thing and I think he thinks he could have done more, but who really knows?
Next crisis (mind you nothing overshadows the ending of a life, but these were just mini crises that continued on and on and on throughout the day) QA Tony's printer stopped working. Which reminds me now that it's almost 9pm... I forgot to call our repair guys.... Jeff couldn't be reached and when he finally called back several hours later, he said he couldn't help since it was a local problem and not a network issue. My printer was still defaulting to 11x17, a nuisance at the most but still terribly annoying. Jeff wiped my profile and that seems to have fixed it... He had me install a new driver too which started performing illegal operations and I couldn't print at all, so I switched back.
Even had another doctor appointment today. When he gets his eyedrops his eyes and cheeks swell and turn red, plus the green goo is increasing, not decreasing as it should be after several medicated days. Seems his infection has gone from eye to ear. Now the green goo is coming from behind his ear, draining into his eye area and seeping out his tear ducts. Yum. So the eye drops were discontinued (yay!) and amoxicillin has started. Orange flavor, mmmm. Maybe Hooray will actually remember to give it to him all weekend. Maybe? Doc said if he's getting worse through Saturday morning get him into a doc, so I'm sure Hooray will be calling. But I think the little guy will get better now.
The entire drive to the doctor really just highlighted how the day had been going. First I got stuck behind an incredibly slow truck. Then they were doing major snow removal in Kiki's neighborhood, so I got stuck by flaggers, loaders and dump trucks. Then I hit EVERY SINGLE red light between Firestone and Longmont. We were still on time, but the appointment ran 45 minutes late as usual. Ev dealt with being stuck in the little room better this time though. More snow removal getting back to her house, Even didn't want to stay a second time of course.
I thought I was being pretty clever by hitting the pharmacy drive through to drop off his prescription. Cruise through, drop it off, come back after work. No problem, right? Well of course we got stuck behind a car that seemed to be there forever. WHen I went back after work for the scrip, insurance had turned it down. WHAT??? Probably that stupid member number change again. The really nice pharmacy lady (I wish I could remember her name!) said she'd just charge the copay and manually bill insurance the rest. I might have to fix that later, but I atleast got the meds tonight without paying a ridiculous amount.
So in the afternoon, Gerald comes in and says there's one of our guys down in his trailor puking his guts out. Been there for a while. Starting to make other people sick just listening to him. Well it was a guy who's been out sick off and on for a couple weeks now. There was some initial concern that he'd got some bad fumes, but they figured from where he'd been working that he was just sick.
Then the snow started.... Snow. The bain of the Denver metro area this year. We are currently in the clutches of our 8th storm in 8 weeks. I don't want to look out my door but I probably will before bed. It started and thick heavy flakes the stuck immediately. Then the wind kicked up and blew everything around just for the fun of it :oP Looks like I'll be digging out tomorrow.... Here's hoping it's not a snow day at school! And that stupid ground hog is coming... Doesn't matter what he says, winter will never end.
About 3:00 my tooth started hurting something awful, it still is. I should probably take something, but I think I'm out of Tylenol. Can't wait for my taxes and I can just get the dang thing pulled. Of course it's about 5 that hurt, but I like to blaim just that one....
Since I was running late tonight between icy roads, snow removal detours, fuel fill-ups (my tank magically went from 30 miles until empty to 0 while sitting in Kiki's driveway) and med slow-ups, I didn't feel like dealing with the pork chop bake I had planned. I called Dominos. It was a lovely idea, I ordered then picked it up on my way past, only had to wait a couple minutes and Ev was really good. Then I got home and balanced my check-book to discover they overcharged me $2! Now that might not sound like much, but it's a heck of a lot to a single mom on a super limited budget! ARGH!
In the mail tonight I got a cancellation notice for my car insurance, a payment which was mailed today. The cut-off date is the 11th so it has 10 days to get there, shouldn't be a problem. Just another candle on the cake.
Even was a little overeager about that pizza when we got in the house. I had carried him in first, then went back for the pizza. I didn't want to track in snow so I stopped at the door and hadned the pizza to Aerrik, instructing him to put it on the counter. Well he did and Even was hot on his heels. By the time I got my shoes off there was a thunk and the sound of "uh oh". Yeah. Uh oh. Even had pulled the pizza box off the counter, it opened and the pizza hit the floor. It had folded in half though so only half of it was actually touching the floor... At least I swept and mopped less than a week ago. Guess who ate the upside down side? Mommies take a lot of little bullets for their kids... And there was no way in hell I was gonna let it go to waste after the day I just had! And am STILL having, might I add!
While cleaning my dinner off the kitchen floor it occured to me I didn't start the dishwasher this morning. Did I mention I was running late? So I started it, there goes more warm water for that bubble bath I won't have a chance to take... Now the dishes are air drying, I probably won't empty it til tomorrow morning cuz I hate to dry dishes and you can't out them away wet. But my sink is still shiny, dinner dishes are stacked neatly on the counter.
It's Thursday, which is Even's bath night. He decided that I was Indonesia and he was a tsunami. The coastal areas around the toilet were destroyed when the great flood came. Would've taken two towels to soak it all up had I felt like putting down a second towel... I did however change my clothes when we were done. I informed the other two that if I saw another drop of water on the bathroom floor someone would have to die. Of course I didn't specify who, probably the next random insect that has the bad luck to cross my path...
Even's been a little joy to be aroudn this evening. He keeps falling, tripping, and hitting himself with things, so he seems to be in a constant state of fuss. Then there was the fight over the raisins that wasn't really a fight but he sure sounded like it was... At least he likes to take his medicine. Much easier than those drops... He's currently playing at my fee twhile I ignore him, hoping he'll go to bed. Yeah right. More likely he'll get hold of my mouse and delete this whole post, and hell if I'm gonna re-type all this crap!
So what does one do when faced with a day like this? Well I plan to crawl into bed at a decent hour and hide until tomorrow. But before that happens I need to take a moment and put things in perspective, and remember what I'm thankful for. First and foremost, I'm alive. I feel for the family of that man... I came home to my babies tonight, he didn't. I didn't have an accident on the icy roads. I have a job to miss time from. I live in a wonderful country. My baby's health is getting better/being taken care of. My oldest is obsessed with crocheting. My middlest is reading. My youngest is smiling right now as he shoots at me with some Legos. Even gave me back the hairbrush he hid 3 days ago. My house is warm. My toenails are painted blue. We ate dinner tonight. Aerrik is doing better on his spelling words. Chris has nice handwriting. Even has a rat he calls Baby. The dishes are clean. My lunch is packed. The laundry is ready to go tomorrow morning. My bed is made. My sink is shiny. There are people in this world who truly love me. There are people in this world I truly love. My last W2 came in today so I can get my taxes done. God willing, we'll all wake up tomorrow with the sun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home