.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

JR's Little Corner

I imagine this will be my little place where I can say whatever I feel. I've journaled off and on, so why not? Here expect to find what's been going on, what's been annoying me, etc etc.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Enough adventure for one day


I got up this morning feeling apprehensive about picking up the boys. We only got 6 inches of snow here, but I knew everywhere south of us got hammered... I checked CDOT, discussed it with Russ, and decided to wait til tomorrow, which will give the plows more time to work and we can see how Ev will do with another night. It's a good thing I did stay though!
I went outside this morning to do a little shoveling and found my driver side window half-way down. Odd... But whatever. So I opened the door to roll it up, then realized I didn't have my keys. So I closed the door. And the window disappeared. Problem. So I did my shoveling then went in and called Dad, who said he would lookat it after a bit.
I cruised the car over there and dad worked as much magic as he could manage. The motor still worked so he thought the cable that held the window had snapped. But there was no way to know unless we took the door panel off, and he just didn't have the right tools. So I made many phone calls trying to find someone with the rights parts who was open today and such, fat chance on a holiday weekend. Finally dad said just find someone to take the door panel off so we can at least look at it, then we'd go from there.
Big props to Rich Bauer at Midwest Autobody! This very nice man popped my door panel at no charge, and even discovered what was wrong! The window had simply come off its tracks, something my dad was able to fix in under a half hour once we got it back to his house. Needless to say I didn't accomplish nearly as much as I intended to...
But wait, you say. Yeah, this is interesting and all, but it's not THAT big of an adventure! You could stand a bit more, couldn't you? Well frankly, no. See, the window was enough stress, as I worried about how to pay for having it fixed. The commute was the adventure. As is 14 degree weather without a working heater, no window, and slushy (read: splashback) roads wouldn't be fun enough while driving the 25 minutes in to Longmont, we became inundated by fog. Like, THICK fog. Fog where you couldn't make out the color of the traffic lights until you were nearly IN the intersection. Fog where brake lights magically appeared in front of you, so you slammed on your own brakes on the icy rode, hoping to stop. No, the cold didn't bother me so much... It was the white knuckle death grip on the steering wheel driving that shattered my nerves. It was hoping everyone saw the appropriate red lights in time, and I only had a couple close calls.
Anyway, that's quite enough for me for one day! I have my window back in its full upright position, I have working power locks, and while I am now shy my driver side speaker (dad forgot to plug it back in and of course couldn't get the door panel back off) I shall be warmer (and drier) when I go to pick up the kids tomorrow.
Oh, and as a sidenote, Saddam Hussein (So Damn Insane as he was fondly called during the Gulf War) was executed last night. Of course car bombs abound in Iraq today. But that makes three...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home